Sunday 20 November 2011

Mika- French Songs?

Sorry everyone, manic few weeks; just finished my last ever performance with my youth theatre... we did Beauty and the Beast, and I was Mrs Potts the teapot. Anyway, it's been a bit emotional, but I thought I'd do another post as I haven't done one in ages.


So I was casually browsing the Internet the other day when I decided to have a look at France's Top 40, seeing as I haven't done a music post in a while. Their number one at the moment is "Elle Me Dit" by Mika. This confused me a lot, as I was convinced that Mika was English, and you don't normally get English or American artists releasing songs in French or any other language, apart from maybe Spanish. After doing a bit of research, I found out that Mika was actually born in Lebanon, with a Lebanese mother and an American father. They moved to Paris when he was one, and then to London when he was nine. He is now working on his latest album, The Origin of Love, which will be out in 2012. He has said that the album will include several more tracks in French. How exciting! When more of these songs come out, expect to find them on here! 


Here's the song:




I love this. It seems to be very popular in France and Belgium, but it doesn't seem to be as popular in the UK. I did wonder when I first heard it whether or not it would appeal to an English-speaking audience, who are so used to hearing songs in their own language. It would be interesting to hear an opinion from someone who doesn't know any French. 


Tell me what you think! Do you like the song? Are you excited for more songs in French from Mika?


Laters
Caitlin

5 comments:

  1. I love this song! I don't listen to a lot of non english language music but the beat, translation, words and tune are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the song when I first heard it, then realised it was by the same artist I've liked for ages. The english version of this song is heavily altered and, even though I only have a basic understanding of french, I enjoyed translating the text. It's so lively

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song! I know a bit of french but I'm far from fluent. I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this song to bits! especially since I am french (vut speak english most of the time)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mika actually have lots of songs in French. if you want listen maybe to Boum Boum Boum or J'ai pas envie. they are "WOW" also :)

    ReplyDelete